Purchase through the generosity of Marilyn D. Johnson; Beverly Dale; Buckingham Foundation, Inc.; Jeanne and Michael Klein; Fredericka and David Middleton; H-E-B; Joseph and Tam Hawkins; Carmel and Gregory Fenves; The National Council of Negro Women (Austin Section); Lone Star (TX) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated; Town Lake (TX) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated; National Society of Black Engineers-Austin Professionals; Greater Austin Black Chamber of Commerce; National Black MBA Association Austin Chapter; and other donors, 2016.
- Come see the artwork at the Blanton.
- Learn more about the artist, Sonya Clark.
- KUT did a brief feature on the unveiling of Clark’s piece.
- Veronica Roberts, Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art at Blanton Museum of Art was featured by ATX Woman.
- Listen to this episode of Stuff You Missed in History Class to hear about America’s first black millionaire.
Photograph of Madam CJ Walker, Addison Scurlock, silver and photographic gelatin on photographic paper, H x W: 5 15/16 x 3 15/16 in. (15.1 x 10 cm), © A’Lelia Bundles
- Visit Madam C. J. Walker’s “Villa Lewaro,” in Irvington, New York, or check out this brief tour.
- The Madam C.J. Walker theatre is in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- A’Lelia Bundles, Madam C. J. Walker’s great-great-granddaughter oversees the Madam Walker Family Archives.
- Madam Walker graced postage stamps in 1998.
- Read On Her Own Ground: The Life and Times of Madam C. J. Walker by A’lelia Bundles.
- The Blanton museum was founded with generous gifts ($5 million and artwork) from James A. Michener and Mari Yoriko Sabusawa.Visit the Michener collection at the Blanton.
- There is also a Michener art museum in his hometown of Doylestown, PA.
- Learn more about photographer Addison Scurlock, whose photographs are archived at the Smithsonian.
- The Netflix series is coming 2019.
Many thanks to our guests, Marilyn D. Johnson and Veronica Roberts. Materials provided by the Blanton Museum with the assistance of Penny Snyder. Be sure to listen to our interview with Meredith Lehman, Educator at the Blanton Museum. Read more about Texas Curriculum (TEKS).
Subscribe and listen on iTunes, Google Play, and Soundcloud! Follow us on Twitter, and let us know about an archive you love, maintain, or think we should feature in the last five minutes of our show.